The polyphonic STRING9 String Ensemble transforms a guitar into nine different string ensembles and string synthesizers while requiring zero modifications, special pickups, or MIDI implementation. It relies on the same technology powering all EHX 9 Series pedals. In a 9 Series first, the STRING9 includes the signature EHX Freeze effect on 3 of the presets to sample and hold notes and chords with infinite sustain.
A rotary switch on the STRING9 allows the player to select the sound of their choice, as follows:
- SYMPHONIC: Re-creates the sound of a large symphony orchestra and features an octave down effect on the lower range of the guitar for a full sound
- JUNE-O: Emulates the Juno® analog string synthesizer sound
- PCM: Sound of a small string section sampled by a vintage PCM keyboard producing a warm vintage string sound
- FLOPPY: Emulates the sound of an Orchestron® optical disc playback sampler, warble included
- AARP: Emulates the classic ARP Solina® string synthesizer
- CREWMAN: Emulates the Crumar Performer® analog string and brass synthesizer; Floyd in a box
- ORCH FREEZE: Orchestral sound with EHX Freeze effect
- SYNTH FREEZE: String synthesizer sound with EHX Freeze effect
- VOX FREEZE: Mellotron® choir and strings sound from the EHX MEL9 with EHX Freeze effect
The pedal is equipped with independent Effect and Dry volume controls so players can precisely tune their mix at the Effects output jack, plus a Dry output jack that always outputs the input signal at unity gain.
Controls 1 and 2 have been designed to adjust specific parameters for each of the nine programs adding usability and flexibility to each sound.